Saturday 21 November 2015

Arielle

I have had Tilly and the Buttons Arielle and this wool fabric for a while, for some reason it just never came to the top of my 'Must Sew Now List'! But I decided that it was time to move away from dresses and sew some separates and I'm certainly glad I made it. I used herringbone wool for the fabric which I bought from Walthamstow market from the man outside Sainsburys. I made a size 1 on the waist grading out to a 2 at the hips. I cut this size out of one and a half meters (160cm wide) and had quite a bit left over. I'm really pleased with the skirt and I can't wait for an opportunity to show it off and wear it!
This is one of the few items that I have made which I'm actually happy with the fit. I was very conscious that I didn't want the buttons to pull at all and I think they look pretty good!
It was very straightforward to make and as ever Tilly's instructions were easy to follow and full of helpful tips. I got myself into a bit of a pickle when it came to attaching the lining to the skirt as it didn't fit, only to realise that I had forgotten to sew the darts on the back of the skirt! After realising my mistake the lining went in easily.
When considering linings and buttons I tend to get all my buttons out to see what colours work and I instantly fell in love with the unusual combination of the red gingham hearts with the herringbone so I decided to roll with it and line it with red gingham too. I bought the lining from ebay where there was plenty of choice.
There's something very charming about the lining and buttons...It must remind me of summer dresses from when I was little. I am definitely a convert to lining items of clothing, in my head it makes them feel more special and I love how beautiful it makes them inside and out.

6 comments:

  1. Love the skirt! I should make one soon too! And those shoes are the sweetest thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catia! You definitely should make one, it's a beautiful pattern to sew with! X

      Delete